Solid performance gives Wanderers a win over an apathetic Hawke’s Bay United

Derek Tieku scored one of Wanderers’ goals in the match – NZF Media

Hamilton Wanderers travelled almost 300km to face Hawke’s Bay United at Bluewater Stadium in the first matchweek of 2020-21 ISPS Handa Men’s Premiership, the most important football league from New Zealand.

It did not take much time for the visitors to show their power: Tommy Semmy scared his opponents in the third minute of play as his shot found the external part of the net. The Papua New Guinean international was part of a powerful offensive trio alongside Derek Tieku and Mark Jones.

Semmy had his second big chance to score in the 21st minute. He dispossessed Jesse Randall, ran with the ball to the box and shot – unfortunately the ball hit the post and went out of the pitch. Wanderers hit the post once again eight minutes later with a great free kick taken by Joe Harris.

While Wanderers’ attack was trying to score the goal, the team’s defense was performing at a high level, dispossessing opponents and forcing offside situations. Despite the great defensive performance of the team coached by Kale Herbert, rising star Jesse Randall had two chances to score, both defended by goalkeeper Matt Oliver.

The second half started the same way as the first, with Hamilton Wanderers playing better and creating opportunities to score. After many attempts, Wanderers’ finally found the net through Josh Signey’s feet in the 52nd minute. Signey scored another goal four minutes later after a beautiful team play that culminated in his goal.

Hawke’s Bay United were down and out, while the visitors were keeping the possession as the clock was running out. In a few rare moments, the hosts launched themselves into attack, leaving large spaces in defense enabling counter-attacks. It was in one of these situations that Tommy Semmy advanced on the right flank and almost scored Wanderers’ third goal, with his shot passing a few millimeters away from the post. Semmy did not score his goal, but the 26-year-old winger crossed a nice ball from the right wing to find Derek Tieku who pushed the ball into the net in the 83rd minute.

The hosts still had an opportunity to score in a free kick taken by Jesse Randall, but it was saved by Matt Oliver. At the final whistle, the score was 3-0 in favour of Hamilton Wanderers that deservedly won this contest.

Wanderers’ next match will be against Auckland City at Porritt Park while Hawke’s Bay United will visit Team Wellington in the country’s capital. You can check more details about 2020-21 ISPS Handa Men’s Premiership by clicking here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: